Pages

Friday 16 September 2011

Reading

I love reading. It relaxes me, takes me to a different world, takes all my worries away. So why have I neglected my reading so much for the last few months?

I have realised that to become a successful writer I need to be an avid reader. I need to read different types of books and read them like a writer, take in the grammar, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary.

Last night I read a few short stories and without realising they have helped me significantly with my writing today. I have used sentences I never thought would work and words that I never knew existed.

It just shows that if you read properly, you really can enjoy it, and use it to your advantage in your own writing.
And who knew you could use snippets of a story idea to make your own unique, never seen before manuscript.

If anyone has any book suggestions that will help me not only to get back into my reading but to aid my writing I would love to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly, I used to be the same and hardly pick up a book. But every night i make a point of reading a few chapters before falling asleep. I have also notice since doing the course i have been reading with a critical eye, checking for mistakes in spelling and grammer. Its funny what the course does to you one minute you think your just reading a book, next thing your proof reading it and taking ideas from it. Its great. xx

    ReplyDelete