Pages

Saturday 30 July 2011

Always be on the look out

Yesterday I read a blog about 'Never throwing away old magazines'. To look through them and see if you could expand on a readers letter to make an article or whether you could write an readers letter in response to an article.

Today I wandered over to my mums house aimlessly (as we all do from time to time) and I noticed that she had an old 'Wag!' magazine (the one for Dogs Trust) lying in the conservatory. So thinking about the blog I read, I picked it up and started reading. After flicking through I noticed that there is a short paragraph about trying to rent a property whilst having pets.

Now as I have experience in this it struck me that this could be turned into either a bigger article or even a readers letter that would start off a healthy debate within a magazine.

If I had not read that blog yesterday I would not have even thought to pick up that magazine as I know they don't accept any readers letters or freelance work. It just goes to show that you always have to be on the look out for a fresh idea.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, it is always good to scan through magazines and newspapers and look for ideas for a future blog. I always listen to the news each day and wathc for trends. Phone hacking is a great example, not that I would want to add to the comments already been made, but perhaps question how a phone is hacked, or should the phone providers do something to stop it happening. Jim Tuffin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose it just goes to show that anything can be turned into an article-you just have to have the right eye for it.
    I can see I need to start expanding on everything I see, read or hear.
    Thanks Jim.
    Kelly Howe

    ReplyDelete