Pages

Friday 23 September 2011

Novel writing

Over the last week I feel like I have done really well; I have written four short stories-two of which are totally finished and the other two just need a couple of paragraphs adding to make the story complete. I will be sending one off to a magazine and the other three are for my short story collection I am hoping to have published on the Kindle.

Another thing I ave also been looking into is starting a novel. No matter how much writing I do, all I can think of is writing a novel; to fulfill my dream. It is like I need to write a novel for myself, to prove that I can have my dream.
Even if I just dedicate a few hours a week to writing my novel, I think it will subside my need to do it. I am really enjoying writing short stories and I think it will be quite difficult to get out of that frame of mind; in order to write a novel.

I have been working on a few ideas and I have discovered I really have no confidence in myself. When it comes to short stories, I know that my ideas are strong enough to fill those 3000 words I intend to write, but when it comes to writing a 100,000 work novel I am afraid that my idea will not be strong enough to survive this much writing.

I know I have to take the plunge and the story might take a twist of it's own, without me even having planned it. I am hoping that is what will happen anyway, because 100,000 seems a lot to write about one idea. Although I have been reading a lot more and books do not necessarily focus around one single idea, they go off on tangents that are linked to the story but give another thing to think about. So maybe my story will stand on its own legs, and make it into the big wide world.

Only time will tell, so I guess I best get writing...

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kelly, I wandered here from another writer's site. Just to say that I found the first 5k words of my novel easy enough. 10k was an interesting point - a 'do I go on with this' moment.
    At 20k I felt like a yacht that had found the breeze. 30k arrived and I knew I could do it - the remaining 65k was just a fascinating and committed journey as I fell further in love with the characters - even the baddies.
    Best wishes for your
    Harry

    ReplyDelete